PayPal purchases

How to withdraw funds from PayPal in South Africa

How do you withdraw funds from your PayPal account in South Africa? I was asked this question a lot after running this article and explaining how I use PayPal for business transactions. While PayPal is great for online shopping it is also a great way to get people to pay you for services. Yet, when I mentioned this a few of you replied saying you could not figure out how to withdraw funds from your PayPal account.

I’m well aware that the guidance on both PayPal and the FNB website are pretty unhelpful so I’ve made a quick guide to assist.

To begin: YOU DO NOT need an FNB bank account.

withdraw funds from PayPal in South Africa

If you have FNB online banking, great. Then you should skip to the bit about linking your PayPal account to your FNB account. If you’re not an FNB client, never fear. You can easily withdraw from your PayPal account to your selected bank. However, you will need to go through FNB to do so. It is pretty simple:

Head on over to the FNB site > Click Register > Select Register for PayPal for non FNB Customers > Select whether this is for you or a business > select “I do not bank with FNB > Fill out your account info

Now once set up you need to link your PayPal account to your FNB profile – both FNB banking clients and non-clients need to do this.

using PayPal

Log in to your FNB account > Click My Bank Accounts > Click My Account Menu* > PayPal Services > Click My Bank Accounts Menu**> Link PayPal Profile > Follow the prompts

*This is the confusing bit. The My Account Menu is the orange tab on the left hand side of your screen running down the screen. It is not on the top tabs.

**Again, the My Bank Accounts Menu runs down the side and is an orange tab

Once you’ve linked your PayPal Account it is easy to withdraw funds

withdraw funds from PayPal in South Africa

You’ve linked your account and now want to withdraw the funds received into your usual bank account. This is actually really easy:

Log in to FNB Banking > Click My Bank Accounts > Click My Account Menu* > PayPal Services > Click My Bank Accounts Menu** > Withdraw funds from PayPal > Follow the prompts

**Again, the My Bank Accounts Menu runs down the side and is an orange tab

You then need to fill in the amount you wish to withdraw. Keep in mind that the South African Reserve Bank exchange control regulations come in to play here. You’ll need to disclose the transaction and explain where the money came from, what it was for and provide necessary contact information as this is a cross border transaction. The layout and prompts are pretty simple to follow though so it isn’t too much of a headache.

And there you go, an easy guide to withdraw funds from PayPal in South Africa. I struggled in the beginning because the guides supplied aren’t clear. Hopefully this one is a bit more helpful!

• Reply Patricia Baillie January 28, 2018 at 12:33

Thank you for this info. I have been trying to find out how to get my money paid from on-line surveys into my Absa account. I will try this but am terrified that I will get lost again in the works. as I have not done this before. The amount is only $45 but a lot for me as a pensioner.

• Reply Patricia Baillie January 28, 2018 at 14:03

I got halfway through, thank you. I am stymied at the end because I do not have a credit card or cheque account to link my Paypal account to FNB, only a debit card. I don’t know what to do now. If I changed my option to a shopping one instead of a withdrawal would it be easier to spend my money? I really don’t want to go through all this again.

• Reply Sam Wright February 6, 2018 at 07:30

Hi Patricia. If you change to shopping you’d be able to spend the money. Unfortunately you’ll have to change to a cheque account to link and withdraw.

• Reply Vee May 8, 2018 at 04:07

Hi there Patricia

Would love to find out what surveys you’re doing. I am also looking on starting to do some online work and have been doing some research. It’s so overwhelming and many of them look like scams.

Would really appreciate a reply. Thanks

• Reply Mymy Kanku March 7, 2018 at 16:59

Hi Patricia, what is I use Capitec and don’t have a FNB bank account?

• Reply Sonto April 11, 2018 at 15:21

Hi Patricia. I have a Paypal account but when I try to link my cheque card it does not want to accept it.

• Reply Sam Wright April 14, 2018 at 10:05

Don’t think you can link a cheque card it needs to be a debit or credit card

• Reply Mahlatse Montjane April 18, 2018 at 01:56

hi, What confirmation do you get that your account is linked?? I have doe it more than once and I still don’t have the withdraw option…

• Reply Sam Wright April 22, 2018 at 11:55

I’d suggest emailing the support cause that doesn’t sound right. The confirmation usually happens rather quickly

• Reply Jessica May 7, 2018 at 19:00

Hey Hey,
    Thanks for the great post. Unfortunately every time I try “Link PayPal profile” it gives me this message “You are unable to perform this function as there are certain FICA requirements outstanding”. Not sure why this should be a problem, as I just registered as a non FNB user, just for paypal. Trying to withdraw funds from my Paypal has literally wasted hours. Please help! I’m so confused.

• Reply Sam Wright May 8, 2018 at 07:56

Hiya. When you set up the non FNB user account you will get to a confirmation page after filling all the details in. This confirmation page gives you an address to send FICA documents to. You’ll need to submit proof of ID, residence and banking. This isn’t a PayPal issue but an SA government issue – they consider PayPal forex and therefore won’t let the money into your account without that info 🙁

I find PayPal one of the best ways to transfer money and the like but I know it can also be frustrating trying to set it all up and get it working 🙁

• Reply Deshnee Naidoo May 8, 2018 at 19:04

Hello, did you have to verify your business to receive funds?

I have a business account and used to receive fund without a problem.

but its now telling me to verify a business and upload business registration details to remove the limits on my account.

• Reply Sam Wright May 10, 2018 at 08:25

Yes. You’ll need to send the official documents 🙁

• Reply John (@EvermanApparel) May 18, 2018 at 09:59

Just a quick note to say thanks for guiding me through that UX mess.

• Reply Sam Wright May 21, 2018 at 14:33

Only a pleasure and glad I could assist!

• Reply Anonymous May 19, 2018 at 23:24

Hi thanks for the information, but every time I want to draw my money it asks for a routing number? What is a routing number?

• Reply Sam Wright May 21, 2018 at 14:30

I’m not 100% sure to be honest. Never had that problem or request.