A new project and a chance to win tickets to RUSH 2019

A few weeks ago I mentioned I was pushing myself to try new things and take on new challenges. I’m super excited that I now get to share a bit more about one of those new projects. I’ve always been passionate about sharing stories about esports and gaming players in the local community. I really believe true beauty of our industry lies in these stories. And now I get to do it!

Photo by Pregan Pillay

RUSH 2019 is an esports event happening from the 28th to the 30th of June at the Sun Arena, Time Square, Pretoria. There will be a host of esports events taking place with competitors from around the country battling it out in Fifa, Fortnite, CSGO, Dota, Hearthstone, Starcraft and other titles. I’m going to be there too, doing something a little bit different. Instead of swinging a mic on a stage I’m going to be working with an incredible production crew BEHIND the camera to bring the stories I so love to life. We’re going to follow the players and document their emotions, their highs and lows and then put it together in a documentary type series that will premier each day (Saturday, Sunday and Monday). I’ve never done something like this and I really hope I can do the players justice. Take a look at the teaser trailer to get an idea of what to expect (yes, I threw in a cheeky GOT reference):

And now for the fun bit. I’ve actually got 4 tickets to RUSH to giveaway. RUSH is running in conjunction with GeekFest this year so you not only get all the esports action but also get the chance to shop till you drop and collect all your fun geeky merchandise.

If you want to win a ticket all you need to do is comment on this blog post and tell me what you’re most excited about seeing at RUSH and GeekFest this year. Easy as! I’ll choose winners on Monday.

All photos in this blog post were shot by Pregan Pillay for RUSH.

• Reply beforetheclockstrikes12 June 20, 2019 at 12:31

I love watching documentaries on games, e-sports and e-sports gamers. I am very much looking forward to seeing this series! There are a lot of amazing things to see at Rush, but I am really looking forward to the Fifa tournament. I have not played Fifa myself in so many years, but the Fifa e-sports scene really intrigues me. I am also really looking forward to seeing all the amazing cosplay at Geekfest. I have always wanted to cosplay but never had the talent, so I can not wait to see what amazing characters and costumes people come as.

• Reply Gantz - June 20, 2019 at 12:37

Looking forward to what the dark carnival guys brought back from Japan and how it will be supported in the future with the embassies help. One other thing the TWT dojo is huge and can start putting us on the map for more fighting tournaments.

• Reply Maymoon June 20, 2019 at 14:39

I can’t wait to see the CSGO players in action (and to say hello to all my awesome girl gamer friends) – always super hyped and exciting. Cause one day when I’m big I also want to play CSGO at Rush – LOL

And to experience Geekfest will be a bonus 🙂

• Reply Joseph June 20, 2019 at 15:54

CS:GO an absolute #MUSTSEE!! Also want to see the Fortnite, Tekken and Fifa players in action. My geeky side is so hyped for Geek Fest.

• Reply Joseph June 20, 2019 at 15:57

Want to see the Fifa players in action. My geeky side is so hyped for Geek Fest.

• Reply ColonelJakes ZA June 20, 2019 at 16:04

Kudos on that GOT reference. Tyrion would be so proud 😉

• Reply Gisela June 20, 2019 at 16:29

I have never been to Rush or Rage, my husband and son has been to Rage a few times, they are not interested in Geekfest. So with Rush and Geekfest in one, we can all go together and there will be something for everyone – and we don’t have to drive all the way to Joburg (yay) I am just looking forward to all the Geek Merchandise and spending the day with my family.

• Reply Lizz Pather June 22, 2019 at 11:02

I’m a boring attorney trying to become game savvy ( in secret). My husband is forcing me to take up a game but I don’t even know where to begin. Im putting up a front that I just don’t have time to choose a game to begin the journey but truth is I need guidance. I stumbled upon this site in hope to gain knowledge & saw this lovely competition- all I know is if I win, Im going to be a gamer!

• Reply Alex June 24, 2019 at 08:32

I’m crazy amped for Rush this year! The ENTIRE atmosphere is pretty epic but I think the one thing that I enjoy the most is watching the gaming tournaments (the whole competitive vibe is intense) and seeing the players in real life 🙂 I do also hope that the the old school arcade games will be there again as it was a hit last year <3

• Reply Stephen C. June 24, 2019 at 13:01

I have to say it would be the whole Rush 2019 experience and I must add the Fifa soccer gaming too