Just when we thought 2016 was bad, 2017 said hold my beer. And who knows what 2018 will bring. I love this time of year because the best of lists come out. And they really do provide social commentary on the year that was. Here’s the good, the bad and the freaking funny of all that 2017 had to offer.
The most liked tweets
This honour goes to Obama, who has 4.6m likes, while second place goes to Arianna Grande with 2.6m.
"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion…" pic.twitter.com/InZ58zkoAm
— Barack Obama (@BarackObama) August 13, 2017
from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don't have words.
— Ariana Grande (@ArianaGrande) May 23, 2017
The most streamed songs (Spotify)
You’ll be pleased to know that two different versions of Despacito made the list.
- “Shape of You,” Ed Sheeran
- “Despacito (Remix),” Luis Fonsi, Daddy Yankee and Justin Bieber
- “Despacito,” Luis Fonsi feat. Daddy Yankee
- “Something Just Like This,” The Chainsmokers feat. Coldplay
- “I’m the One,” DJ Khaled, Justin Bieber, Chance the Rapper, Quavo, Lil Wayne
And the most viewed YouTube video goes to…
Despacito has over 4.47 billion views! The second spot goes to Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth for See You Again (3.26 billion views) and the former number one, is now third. Gangnam Style has just over 3.1 billion views.
Top apps for iOS
Top Android apps
This year the best app went to one that I wish I had in high school – Socratic which is an app that helps you with maths. And I don’t mean to brag, but the most popular book also happened to be a Book Club pick.
- Best App of the year: Socratic, an app that helps with science and maths
- Most popular movie: Moana
- Most popular game: Super Mario Run
- Most popular song: Kendrick Lamar, Humble
- Most popular book: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F#$* (which was a Book Club pick)
Trump’s best words of 2017
What would 2017 be without Trump? (Don’t answer that…) Here are his best words, because you know he has the best words.
Trump’s Best Words of 2017 pic.twitter.com/jHeHQ7RNmd
— The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) December 6, 2017