I was checking out The New York Times Bestseller List and a book titled “You are a Badass: how to stop doubting your greatness and start living an awesome life” caught my eye. It was first published in 2013 and has gained popularity as the author, Jen Sincero is releasing a follow up called “You are a Badass at making money”.
You are a Badass is a motivational book for people who aren’t into self-help books and want to make positive changes while laughing along the way.
— jen sincero (@JenSincero) February 22, 2017
The book is divided into 5 parts.
- The first focuses on why you are like you are and makes you aware of your thoughts, beliefs and habits.
- Part 2 is all about self love
- While part 3 shows you how to get in tune with what you want.
- Part 4, called “How to get over your BS already” goes through the excuses we make and finally,
- in part 5 we find out how to kick some ass. Reading this book is a process and each part builds on the previous one.
While the information is the same as most self-help books, the delivery makes you take it all in and apply it to your life. The book is littered with great quotes and Sincero’s humour will have you laughing out loud.
This is a self-help book that doesn’t take itself too seriously and that’s what makes it worth reading.
While checking out Goodreads, I came across this review that made me laugh.
Full disclaimer: while it could be compared to The Secret, the ideas are presented in an entirely different way.
Read this book if…
You feel like making a change in your life, want to be more confident and live your best life. There is something in here for everyone, no matter which part of your journey you are on. If you are not into The Universe or have no idea what I’m talking about, then this book is not for you. Rather read Tools of Titans.