Tinder, Bumble and even LovelUp – I’ve tested out a considerable amount of dating apps or at least blogged about them. Little did I know that the photo sharing app I’ve been using almost daily is probably where I should have gone first time. Because, accordingly to the cool kids – Instagram is a dating app.
Yeah, I was pretty taken aback by the idea as well. However, three friends in relationships later and it seems that Instagram might just be the place to start shopping for a significant other. Even Cyber-Dating Expert (a dating blogger obvs) got interviewed by the New York Post about using the photo sharing app to pick up a new hottie. Though the entire process seems a little bit stalkerish to me.
Here’s what the process looks like:
- When you go in to the explore section of the app you get served a host of people with “similar” interests or followers to what you follow.
- Alternatively you can search locations. Kind of creepy because you could search for your favourite bar and scroll through images until you spot the hottie you were eyeing last week (this method freaks me out a bit, I’m not going to lie).
- The next step involves liking their photos… which is a little bit like what poking on Facebook used to be. The idea is that if you like his or her photos, he or she will like yours back. The next step is obviously to get a follow from the person you have your eye on.
- If you both follow one another you can start messaging each other.
- This tends to be the process that most of the people I’ve chatted to have followed and have ended up landing their squeeze.
So Instagram but for dating
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the whole idea of using the photo sharing app to search for potential beaus. The current process of how to go about it kind of freaks me out a little. However, it doesn’t seem all that different from swiping right on someone based on their looks and hoping you match. My immediate concern is how do you know if that person is single, but after a few horror like experiences on Tinder, I’m well aware that dedicated dating apps don’t stop the married few dipping their feet in to the mix.
I haven’t tried to find someone on Instagram. I’m not quite there yet. But it seems to be the new thing. Instagram as a dating app. Who would have thought.
Have you met someone via Instagram? I’d love to hear more so please let me know in the comments below.