How to buy on Amazon from South Africa

How to buy on Amazon from South Africa (or any international site for that matter)

Despite your thoughts on the evils of bloggers and how we sit on our comfy sofas while incredibly amazing items fall on our laps for free… we tend to buy things. In fact, we tend to the buy the ridiculously hard to get, hard to find, costs an arm and leg so no Chuckles Chocolates for six months things. Bloggers are passionate about their niche and they tend to be the biggest purchasers of things in that niche.

SEE ALSO:  Buying items overseas using Aramex Global Shopper – does it work as well as we said?

Case in point: When I found out about this gorgeous Mooli camera bag it was a no brainer – I had to have it. I spent a few days backward and forwarding with the designer trying to determine if the Kickstarter campaign would end (and thus deliver our spoils) around the time my best friend was in the UK. My thinking was that this way I’d be able to get the bag delivered to her and ultimately skip out on the headache of getting it shipped to South Africa.

How to buy on Amazon from South Africa
THAT’S MY BAG!

If you’ve ever tried to buy online and then get goods to SA you know it is a nightmare. Even if the international retailer supplies you with the tracking number, the moment it lands here that number is all but useless. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve lost things in Customs. I bought an ex-boyfriend a Yoda Golf Club cover once and it took 3 months to clear customs. 3 MONTHS! Another time my friend sent me a pair of Marvel stockings and the cost on getting them here was double the price of the stockings. If I don’t have a mule (I mean friend, obviously) traipsing through a foreign country I usually forgo the purchase.

The Mooli bag became a problem. All was on track for it to be delivered to my faithful mule when the designer had a delay on her side. Suddenly it was panic stations, my friend would return home before the bag made it to her hotel. It was around this time that I came across Pink Peonies’ blog post about quick and easy international shopping and it changed my life.

Pink Peonies shared some details about the Aramex Global Shopper Account and it sounded too good to be true.

Here is how it works:

• You register with Aramex Global Shopper for a once off life time cost of $45 (so around R631… but keep reading, I can make that a bit cheaper).
  • Once registered you are given 14 different addresses around the world. Address locations include the United States of America, the UK, the UAE, Canada, China, Germany, Malaysia, Spain, Turkey, Singapore, Hong Kong, Italy, India and even France!
  • When you buy something online you use your Aramex Global Shopper Address in that country as your shipping address. Your goodies are then sent there and within 3 to 6 days they land in South Africa!
  • Aramex handles customs and simply adds the costings to your account. If you’re terrified of being overcharged, their website and user hub has a customs calculator for you so you can double check pricing before you buy.
  • The goods get delivered to your door and you’re good to go.

After reading all of this I immediately sent Pink Peonies a mail. I’d already bought my bag and wanted to find out if Aramex Global Shopper would be able to help me out. I didn’t want to sign up and spend if they couldn’t. After chatting to Pink Peonies and one of the helpful Aramex staff (they are so hands on) I set up my account.

How to buy on Amazon from South Africa
Photo by Double Exposure Photographic dephotographic.com

The service has been great. When you sign up there are some documents you need to supply to ensure customs is never a hassle. Aramex were great at following up and ensuring all of that was in order. You can pay via Credit Card or Pay Pal (I’m a Pay Pal fan). There are a few other positive things as well – Aramex Global Shopper insures packages up to $100 (roughly R1400) and if the package gets lost or damaged – they’ll fully compensate you for the invoice amount. You’re also offered a full money back guarantee for the first year if you aren’t happy with the service. Not bad right?

My Mooli bag is set to ship early next week. I cannot wait for it to arrive and I’ve now harassed the Aramex guys enough to know that they’re as passionate about my bag getting here as I am.

How to buy on Amazon from South Africa
COME TO MAMA!

Of course, my bag won’t be the only thing I’ll be bringing in. This coming Friday is known as “BLACK FRIDAY”. It’s that one day in the States where prices on gadgets are slashed and, those price cuts happen online as well. For the first time in my life I’m going to abuse the Black Friday Sales by using my Aramex Global Shopper address. I’m literally counting down the days.

Remember how, earlier, I told you about the once off lifetime membership sign up fee? Well, I’m all for sharing the love so you can actually sign up for $10 (R140 bucks or thereabouts). All you need to do is use my promo code: AGS10TECH. It’s valid until the 25th of December so, while you might not want to abuse it for Black Friday, you still have time to buy all your Christmas presents from international websites!

For peace of mind: I don’t make any cash of that promo code. It isn’t an affiliate programme. It really is just me helping you get an account for $10. Easy as!

So what is the first thing you’re buying?

UPDATED TO ADD: I have another code. Aramex Global Shopper is offering $5 off every shipment made in November and December. You just need to use the promo code AGS50FF – you’re welcome!

How to buy on Amazon from South Africa

• Reply Marné Combrinck November 24, 2015 at 07:59

Awesomeness. So pretty, would never have guessed it’s a camera bag. What else are you wanting to buy on black friday?

• Reply Tech Girl November 24, 2015 at 08:03

I’m just going to trawl the specials and see what pops up. My heart wants a MacBook Pro. My head says I’m being silly. Oh dear.

• Reply MeeA Parkins November 24, 2015 at 11:43

Get the Macbook – You’ll never look back!

• Reply Alessandro Barbosa November 24, 2015 at 08:03

This sounds FAR better than some many other similar websites which give you an address and then ship. Definitely checking this out. Thanks Sam 🙂

• Reply Tech Girl November 24, 2015 at 08:04

They have been amazing in their service so far. Also Aramex is a globally renowned name so that helps a bit I think. I’m a fan.

• Reply Her Highness the Hipster November 24, 2015 at 08:07

This seriously sounds awesome. I may need to abuse this and buy all the things. DAMMIT SAM! Why do you do this to me? 🙁

• Reply Tech Girl November 24, 2015 at 08:09

R140. Small change. Life time membership. Then you don’t have to buy all the things right now (but you probably will).

• Reply Graeme Norval November 24, 2015 at 10:12

This looks pretty good! I’ve investigated similar services like my MyUS.com and the cost was always so high that it swallowed any saving that could have been made but this looks very reasonable by comparison.

One of the things I have difficulty shipping from the US is car parts, and while this won’t work for large, heavy parts, it could be a godsend for things like fuel injectors and engine management boxes.

• Reply Tech Girl November 24, 2015 at 10:19

I’ve been impressed so far.

• Reply Graeme Norval November 24, 2015 at 10:14

Question: when you sign up, is the US address in a tax-free state or will places like Amazon have to charge you sales tax when they send to it?

• Reply Tech Girl November 24, 2015 at 10:19

I’ll be honest, my shipment is coming from the UK so I’m actually not 100% sure. There help e-mail is extremely helpful – so possibly worth dropping them a message and finding out?

• Reply MeeA Parkins November 24, 2015 at 11:42

You are a friggin’ ROCK STAR!

• Reply TriangularRoom November 24, 2015 at 11:48

This sounds like just the thing I need! Please do a follow up article/update to this one when your bag arrives so we can be doubly reassured that everything worked out 🙂

• Reply Tech Girl November 24, 2015 at 13:49

Definitely the plan. Never fear!

• Reply Lori Lewis November 24, 2015 at 16:12

Can’t even! You have changed my life!

• Reply Colleen Black November 24, 2015 at 18:28

Sounds amazeballs – going to check it out. For UK I have used Postbox Courier with much success but always keen to look at options! Although how much does the exchange rate suck?! 🙁

• Reply Tech Girl November 25, 2015 at 17:08

The exchange rate…. just typing it makes me sad.

• Reply Janine Ferreira July 29, 2017 at 20:39

Can I still use the code as I only read about how to shop on Amazon now

• Reply Sam Wright July 31, 2017 at 07:26

Unfortunately not. But watch this space – something rad coming soon!

• Reply Michelle November 26, 2015 at 11:55

My friend is leaving for 2weeks to London,how can I have him pick up something there which I will order online?

• Reply Michelle December 9, 2015 at 08:53

Sam I suggest you pin this article somewhere as this is an absolute master piece.
    Many people struggle to import goods from countries that do not ship to SA and this article is really informative.
    No where else online have I found an article that puts in detail in shipping in goods.

P.S Did you get your goods on the expected delivery date?

• Reply Michelle December 15, 2015 at 13:56

I signed up for an account,thank you for the code 🙂

• Reply Morné Van Der Watt December 24, 2015 at 22:04

Just signed up !! Thank you for the promo code Tech Girl!! Big Bang PJ’s here I come. Just a pity its now R153 .. damn politics

• Reply Tech Girl December 28, 2015 at 07:36

Ah I’m sorry 🙁 Promise it is completely worth the cost. I’ll have a post up next week on my experience using the service.

• Reply Firoze August 16, 2016 at 07:13

Hi. How was the experience with the service
        Also is there a promo code for using now. I only seen blog now.

• Reply Sam Wright August 16, 2016 at 07:19

I use Aramex regularly and they are superb! Unfortunately no promo codes though 🙁

• Reply Likemoney August 23, 2016 at 10:07

Things don’t just get lost they get stolen by customs and post office employees. They just help themselves with our goods and no one does anything about it.

• Reply Charmaine Lince September 15, 2016 at 14:36

Oh my hat! This is so awesome. I am so sad that I only get to read this NOW! I am forever finding things online that do not get shipped to SA! Will you be running another promo? I really want one of these Aramex account thingies 🙂

• Reply Sam Wright September 15, 2016 at 16:08

I hope to run one soon. I’m such a big fan of Aramex Global Shopper – worth the sign up feel I promise!

• Reply Robyn Hunter October 31, 2016 at 15:27

Ah poo! I wish I had seen this last year! Run another promo!

• Reply Samantha Michelle Wright October 31, 2016 at 17:13

I need to convince them! Everyone is asking and it is such an incredible service. Honestly worth the spend.

• Reply Robyn Hunter October 31, 2016 at 19:56

Yes – friends have recommended them, only hear good stuff. Also not the most expensive out there.

• Reply Jabulile Sibiya January 9, 2017 at 14:27

It’s really sad that I’m too late to use the discount code but I’m soooo thankful that I found this post!!

Thanks!

• Reply Sam Wright January 11, 2017 at 10:52

I love Aramex Global Shopper. Even without the discount code – definitely worth the spend!

• Reply Sam January 16, 2017 at 19:11

And, have you received your order?

• Reply Sam Wright January 17, 2017 at 07:19

I did! And I’ve ordered LEGO jewelry via them as well without a problem. Really a great service!

• Reply Michael Erasmus August 3, 2017 at 15:33

How long did it take to reach your door after ordering online?

• Reply Sam Wright August 11, 2017 at 15:28

UK – 1 week after shipping. Poland 2 weeks as there was an issue at customs.

• Reply Tina Roberts January 19, 2017 at 08:25

Thanks Tech girl I just signed up for Aramex and the promo code is still valid… geepers so glad I found you

• Reply Sam Wright January 19, 2017 at 12:18

Oooh lucky! And well done for testing that out. Honestly is the best service. You’re going to love them.

• Reply Matt February 2, 2017 at 21:27

I’m looking at bringing in a laptop from the UK so this service could be amazing! Going to check it out. I’m still curious though: do you pay VAT twice? Once in the shipping country (i.e. England) + 14% VAT upon entering SA. (customs tax on technology items is 0% I believe.) Technically the shipping-country taxes should be left out as it is not being sold in that country. SO – I hope to find out soon 🙂

• Reply Sam Wright February 3, 2017 at 06:27

The tax in SA varies depending on the item and I do think you’re going to get hit with some unfortunately. You are going to have to pay VAT twice because the store you purchase from is going to ship in country and charge accordingly. It does suck a little but ultimately the service is so good that I sort of don’t mind all that much.

• Reply Yash September 29, 2017 at 23:28

Code still works 🙂
    Thank you!!!

• Reply Sameera Asmall October 7, 2017 at 08:44

Hi Sam, thanks souch for this 🙂 and yay promo code still works😘