Windows 10

Why do I not have Windows 10 yet?

Yay, it’s 29 July, Windows 10 is here… so why hasn’t my computer or laptop upgraded yet?

Okay, steady those horses. Despite thoughts to the contrary, the internet isn’t magic and it definitely cannot supply a mass software update to the whole world at the same time. That would crash it and after staying in China for a short while I can tell you: no internet is not something you ever want to experience for longer than what is on the load shedding schedule.

Here is how the Windows 10 upgrade is working:

Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 preview testers (buggers) get Windows 10 first. The next batch of lucky folk will be those that reserved their free upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 – so me. I’d suggest, if you haven’t registered, that you go do that now and join your spot in the queue. You should have a pop up message appearing on your Windows PC or laptop but if not, go here.

You’ve got a year to get your free upgrade, so be patient and don’t stress just yet.

Buying a new device might be a bit tricky but you should, by rights, still be entitled to your free Windows 10 upgrade if you go out tomorrow and buy a device currently on the shelf. I’m told that Dell and HP should have some Windows 10 devices rolling out today so keep a look out for those.

The Windows 10 upgrade is a big deal to Microsoft. They’re throwing huge parties around the world to celebrate and have already started following the sun: there will be celebrations in Australia, London, New York, Dubai and even Johannesburg, South Africa!

Anything has to be better than 8 right?

• Reply DoomGuy POItjie July 29, 2015 at 11:47

I am upgrading when I get home this afternoon. Downloaded the ISO version, so I can update a couple of machines by just downloading once. imagine upgrading 3 machines at 3GB each via download….too much data and waiting

• Reply Graeme Norval July 29, 2015 at 14:54

Where do you get the ISO version from? The Microsoft site? I’ve got 2 laptops and 2 desktops that need updating and am not really wanting each of them to have to download a separate copy.

• Reply DoomGuy POItjie July 29, 2015 at 15:07

I will let you know how the ISO upgrade goes. I found it via a link on the insiders program. Not sure how the upgrade works

• Reply Graeme Norval July 29, 2015 at 14:53

I still want to know what they did with Windows 9!

• Reply DoomGuy POItjie July 29, 2015 at 14:55

They renamed Windows 9 to Windows 10.

• Reply Graeme Norval July 29, 2015 at 15:21

But why? What do they have against the number 9?

• Reply DoomGuy POItjie July 29, 2015 at 15:55

It was all based on the search engines. when you Googled Windows 9 you kept getting results and meme for Windows 95 and 98. So they wanted to avoid that, so skipped it.

• Graeme Norval July 29, 2015 at 16:17

That actually makes pretty good sense, I was expecting it to be less practical than that.

• Reply Gremoire July 29, 2015 at 15:52

Well, rumour has it that Microsoft did some research before they named their new OS.

There are a lot of code out that that checks against Windows versions by OS name. Herewith a link to some source code on Github that does just that:

So, basically the code checks for version of Windows, i.e. Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows NT and the also Windows 98 SEcond Edition, Windows 98 and Windows 95.

With all the Windows 9x versions some developers took a shortcut by only looking for the OS name portion “Windows 9”, and then executes code specifically pertaining to the 98/95 versions.

So if Microsoft were to name their new version “Windows 9”, all these programs would have executed the wrong code section, and everyone would be blaming Microsoft for the application execution problems instead of the developer.